Unusual scholarships are out there for prospective students who are lucky enough, or in some cases, bizarre enough to land them. Here are a few scholarships that are unusual, but will still get you the goods!
Recently, a company that manufactures duct tape gave out five thousand dollars each to a teen couple who wore outfits made from the company’s sticky product to their high school prom.
- If your last name happens to be Scarpinato, you can get a full scholarship at Texas A&M University, and if it is Gatling, a scholarship worth nine to eighteen thousand at North Carolina State can be yours.
- The last name or Van Valkenburg can get someone a scholarship of a thousand dollars at just about any college or university in the United States.
- Being very short or very tall can land someone a small scholarship of about a thousand dollars.
- Language students can receive a five hundred dollars scholarship from the Klingon Language Institute, and they don’t even have to speak the language. The Star Trek Fan Association gives out small scholarships to its members as well.
- Students who make excellent speeches about cows can win a scholarship of up to $2500 from the National Beef Ambassador Program, and if you don’t eat meat, you can try for the five thousand dollar scholarship from the Vegetarian Resource Group.
- A company that makes peanut butter is holding a contest for making the best peanut butter sandwich. The winner will receive a twenty-five thousand dollar scholarship, and four runner-ups will get twenty five hundred each for college.
- People who are employed as dancers can get scholarships that are worth twenty-five thousand dollars from the Harlequin Association.
- The Frederick and Mary F. Beckley Scholarship gives up to a thousand dollars to people who are left handed who are enrolled at Juniata College.
- Skateboarders can win scholarships of varying amounts, as can bowlers, marble playing champions and surfers.
- Students who are enrolled in courses that teach welding may qualify for scholarships from the American Welding Society, and in sharp contrast, students who are studying fungus, mold and spores can receive a scholarship from The Mycological Society of America.
- For those students who are interested in the study of parapsychology, the Eileen J. Garrett award is three thousand dollars.
- The Chuck and Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest will give $1500 to the high school senior who excels at this unusual talent.
- A company who is as famous for its method of distribution as it is for its plastic food storage containers, offers scholarships for its distributors and their dependent children.There is even a scholarship for people who are good human beings.
- People who perform random acts of kindness may find themselves offered a surprise scholarship by the Hiram College Hal Reichle Memorial Scholarship, who uses a secret society of observers to find students who are worthy of the scholarship.
- Pagan and Wicca members may apply for a scholarship from the Coven of the Sacred Waters.
- Students who attend Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania who do not smoke, drink, or participate in sports can possibly qualify for an award granted by the Gertrude J. Deppen Scholarship.
- Twins have scholarship opportunities all over the country, ranging from Carl Albert State College in Oklahoma to the West Chester University in Pennsylvania. Even parents of multiple babies can benefit from a scholarship offered by the Illinois Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs.
- Hood College offers a few of its freshmen students what is known as a legacy scholarship. If the student had a mother or grandmother who attended Hood College in the past, the freshman student is allowed to pay the same first year tuition as her mother or grandmother did.
Much research is needed to find these types of scholarships, and it is worth discovering if any organization or program a prospective college student associates with offers a scholarship. Often unusual scholarships are overlooked because the average prospective college student has no idea they exist.