Scholarships For Hispanics
Scholarships for Hispanics are everywhere, especially with the current expansions Latin community. If you come from a Hispanic background, you may be surprised by just how many scholarships there are out there for you. As long as you have the drive to earn a college degree, you should be able to find someone out there to help you pay for your education. You don’t have to speak Spanish to qualify for these opportunities. You just need to have a family heritage rich with Latin culture. Think you have what it takes? If so, read on to find out where you may be able to go for financial assistance in college.
What is the Purpose of These Scholarships?
Some people question why Hispanics have specific scholarships designated for them. The Latin community has not been a prominent force in higher education in the past. That has started to change, but many organizations now issue scholarships for Hispanics to encourage minority students to get a college education. Hispanic families also make up a large portion of the lower class in this country, so these scholarships give needy college hopefuls a chance to pay for their schooling. No matter what your financial need may be, you can get funding for your education with your Hispanic heritage.
Different Types of Hispanic Scholarships
There are many different kinds of scholarships for Hispanics in this world. Many of them fit into the same categories as other scholarships out there. The two main categories of scholarships are need based and merit based. Need based scholarships are issued to students from low income households, and merit scholarships are provided for outstanding students who have proven their academic abilities in school. If you fit into either of those categories, you should be able to qualify for some source of financial assistance.
For the most part, Hispanic scholarships obviously require you to be of Latin descent. However, many of them also cover an umbrella of other minorities, like African Americans or Native Americans. If you search for minority scholarships as you look for scholarships for Hispanics, you may be able to double the amount of awards you can apply for. If you are a woman, you may also be able to qualify for scholarships for women.
Some scholarships are issued by the state, so you could check for scholarships specific to your area. For instance. Arkansas college students could benefit from scholarships in Arkansas. If you lived in that state and attended school there, you could qualify for that as well. Look into scholarships that suit the state you live in if you want to truly expand your options.
Scholarships for Hispanics cover a wide range of college majors, financial situations, and educational institutions. Thus you may have to look for some scholarships that are specific to your lifestyle. Nevertheless, the popular scholarships listed below may be able to point you toward a good opportunity. Here are some of the most well-known Hispanic scholarships in the world of higher education.
- Gates Millennium Scholarship: The first and most widely regarded scholarship for Hispanics comes from the Gates Millennium Scholarship Program. The program begins early every year, with the application due dates around the beginning of January. It is open for all minorities who meet Federal Pell Grant eligibility. Applicants must have at least a 3.3 cumulative GPA to qualify for the scholarship program, and they must be applying for a full time degree program. You must major in one of the following fields to apply: education, computer science, engineering, mathematics, public health, library science, or science.
- Coca Cola Live Positively Essay Contest: Another widely popular scholarship for Hispanics is the Coca Cola Live Positively Essay Contest. The scholarship which is in coalition with the Hispanic Scholarship fund offers awards valued at $1,500 to scholars and $1,000 to family members of coca cola workers. To apply for this scholarships, you write a unique and impressive essay on the topic given that year. Application deadlines are usually around the beginning of May each year.
- Gold Standard Scholarships: The Gold Standard Scholarship Program begins early in the year and usually ends in January. The scholarship can offer Hispanic students awards of $10,000 to $30,000 if they meet eligibility requirements. This scholarship program only accepts applicants from the six major NBA cities, which include: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans and Boston. The applications will ask about volunteer and work experiences as well as any involvement in school related actives. Applicants must complete an essay to qualify for this award, and they must be at least 21 years of age. You must complete your FAFSA and send in a resume to complete your application.
The scholarships mentioned above are some of the largest offered for Hispanic applicants, but you may be able to find others that fit your situation better. With the range of existing scholarships for Hispanics, you should have no trouble finding a solution that works for you.
Additional Hispanic Scholarship Opportunities:
- CHCI Scholarship Award
- United Parcel Service Leadership Program
- La Unidad Latina Foundation Scholarship
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses Scholarship
- Jose Marti Scholarship
- Adelante Miller Brewing Company National Scholarship
- Winners Circle Scholarship Fund
- PRIMERO Hispanic Heritage Scholarship
Coca Cola Essay Contest
My son applied for this scholarship last fall and won - what a wonderful opportunity!